Tuesday, May 28, 2013

After 8 Years In Bangkok 3 Things Still Cause Me Stress

I have been living in Bangkok for a lot of the last 8 years. There are 3 things that continue to cause me stress and I don't think I will ever get used to them. I am sure I am not alone with these issues......I will list them for you - not in any particular order.

1. If you ask many Thai people a question about a procedure, or for directions, or anything really, and they do not know the answer, instead of saying they don't know they make the answer up ! This has obvious consquences, and really pisses me off.

2. Many Thai people will NOT ask questions of another Thai older than them or in a so called position of authority.  I have been with many Thais in shopping malls who have even point blank refused to ask staff or a security guard directions or anything at all, only to spend ages struggling on alone to find somewhere or something. I could go on about this with numerous examples but won't.

3. Stupid farangs that think that THEIR bar girl is in love with them and is different to the rest.

The first two are to do with 'face' the last is due to I know not.

Ok, thats it - off my chest :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Just wanted to encourage you to keep up the posting. I've enjoyed reading your blog for the past few years. Keeps my memories of Bangkok fresh until the next trip!

    -Friend in the USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Hi, Just found your blog. I spend a lot of time in Thailand myself and it took me a good while to understand why they do this. After 10 years I'm only just getting used to Thai ways.

    ReplyDelete