Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bangkok Airports... So Sad

As I think the majority of the population of the world already know, anti government protesters have taken over the two airports in Bangkok. I will not comment on the politics involved but I will say one thing.

The damage to the tourism industry here is going to be extreme to say the least. Tourism is down 50 % on last year all ready, now its going to get worse. These protesters seem to have no thought of what they have done, and are doing, to the country of Thailand. They think that what they are doing is for the best - but how can it be. Thousands and thousands of people rely on tourism for their income. There are no social security handouts, no unemployment benefits, no other work - the prospects for a large majority of people here are bleak.

My friend owns a bar in Bangkok - he has already laid off 10 of his 15 staff. That was before this crisis. I don't know what he will do next.

I was in his bar last evening for 4 hours - there was me and one other customer. The money he took yesterday will not even cover his daily overheads, and this is becoming the norm.

I know the credit crunch is affecting businesses around the world. But the government of Thailand ( what there is here ) will not be bailing out businesses that go under - it appears to me they do not care about the people, only themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment